Social Security allows recipients of Retirement and other governmental benefits to have their check deposited directly into their checking account.  In certain cases, it may be necessary to add or change the location of a direct deposit when applying for Medicaid benefits.  This can be done in one of several ways:


1. Go to the local Social Security office and request that your check be direct deposited.  You will need to have your account number, bank routing number and your Social Security number.

2. Go to your bank, credit union, or savings and loan and they can usually sign you up for direct deposit.  If you do not have a checking account, most banks offer a variety of accounts with little or no fees.


You can mail in your request to change your direct deposit by filling out a form that is available online at:

We can also provide you with the necessary form.  You must then mail it to the financial institution, who will forward it to the appropriate government agency.


Call Social Security toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 and tell them you would like to sign up for direct deposit.  They will ask you a couple of questions to verify your identity, and you will need to have your account number, bank routing number, and Social Security number.


If you would like to apply online, you can submit a direct deposit application on the Social Security Administration’s website at:

You will be asked to establish a username and password and will have to input your account number and bank routing number from a check.

Dale & Huffman
February 2009

Back To Top Of Page

The materials contained on this website are for informational purposes only. You should contact a qualified attorney to obtain advice with respect to your specific issue or problem. Use of this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between Dale, Huffman & Babcock and the user.